Friday 31 December 2010

This is the end...

Happy Christmas everybody, and a Messy New Year!

So the year is rolling to a close. Almost everyone seems to have switched off for Christmas, taking it easy until the New Year rolls around before attempting once again to take things by the scruff of the neck. But, hey, why wait? Life’s about momentum. Finish 2010 in style, and starting 2011 with a bang will be that much easier.


My friend R___  mentioned that instead of waiting for January to make a big push, when everyone is in the gym, he always makes an effort to get his work done in December, when everyone else is winding down. That way, when the New Year arrives, he is already in shape and ready to start the year running.



 Another thing. New Year’s resolutions: I have a real love/hate relationship with them. Last year I’d failed most of them within a month. However, when I thought about what I’d achieved at the end of the year, I realised that actually, I’d actually surpassed the goals I’d first set. A year is a long time: the things I accomplished at the start of the year seem such a long time ago, I’d almost forgotten I’d done them.


Before the year is out, try sitting down and totting up all the good things that you’ve pulled off this year. I’m not fussed about the bad stuff: focus on the good things, or the things you learned from the bad stuff if you really have to look at it that way. Make yourself feel really good about your year: remember the good stuff, see what you learned from the bad.


For me, 2010 was an awesome year, probably my best so far on many fronts. And yet it hasn’t necessarily been all plain sailing. I dislocated my shoulder again, which along with another injury led to me pulling out of three or four fights. The only fight I had, I had a man lying on top of me and dry humping me for the best part of ten minutes. My writing is still a balance between doing what I love and what I need to do to make a living. 


But at the same time: first semi-pro MMA fight. Sure I dislocated my shoulder, but I rehabbed it to near 100% quickly and begun training in 3 months, and somehow my ground game has got better during my enforced break. Last time it took me about 9 before I had the guts to step back into class. It helped me put things in perspective, to see my own character and really appreciate what this sportvmeans to me. It also gave me the chance to really pick my path: was I going to be the guy who got crippled then spent the weekend sulking, or was I going to be the guy who dislocated his shoulder then headed off to Edinburgh on a stag do 4 hours after getting back from the hospital, still pumped full of morphine? Yup, I did the latter.




I wrote a novel (a shit one) in a month. I started writing for a living. I have my first book planned and waiting for me to knuckle down and write it, and look for a deal. I started this blog and began to really share my thoughts with people, and got a great response. My relationship with my family is better than ever, and I was so happy to see my sister get married to a great guy. I met some great people, including some great women, and I feel like I’m now almost completely happy with who I am and where I'm going. I'm not there yet, but I know I'm on my way.


2010 was great for me. Which means I’m heading into 2011 with something better than a clean slate. I’m going into 2011 with positive momentum. I’ve nicked a head start: catch me if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment